Evernote is a powerful tool with myriads of uses. One use I have for it is to store Bible verses that have impacted me in a topical fashion so that I can quickly reference them when needed.
This is very helpful for those who write, have bad memory (like me), counsel, or for all those those who find themselves in an opportunity to encourage others but have conveniently forgotten “that verse.”
Here is how to set it up in Evernote. I am specifically talking about the phone app, but the website version should follow the same concept. If you do not have the app, get it here:
- Open the Evernote app and click on Notebooks.
- Click on New Notebook to create a New Notebook
- Label this notebook Bible Topics (or something similar)
- Click Add Notes (or the big + at the bottom of the screen
- Enter your verse in the body
- At the top, label the note whatever Topic you want to put the verse under.
- Optional: The app by default sorts by month. To switch sorting to alphabetical (which I recommend) click on the three dots at the bottom of the screen to bring up the options screen and choose Note list options. Change “Sort By’ to ‘Title’. Now it will sort alphabetically by Label.
So when you need to document that verse just pull up Evernote, open the Notebook that you created and add the new note (or add to an already recorded Topic).
Need a couple to start with? Here are two:
Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad. (Proverbs 12:25)
Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgment. (Proverbs 18:1)
Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
What do you use Evernote for? Do you have any “hacks” that you use it for that you would like to share? If so, do so below in the comments.